Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Unique Megastore, New Artemis Dark Skin

The team over at Unique Megastore have come out with a new release, and asked the team here at The Redneck Fashionista to review their newest skin release, Artemis.  We were allowed to select one fullpack to review for you.  Artemis, in history, is one of the oldest Greek goddesses whose Roman contemporary is Diana.  Artemis was the goddess of the hunt, forest, hills, and the moon. With this skin, not only do you feel like a goddess, but you look like one too... and not just this statue.

Artemis is available at any Unique Megastore.  The full pack retails for L$3,499 with a single skin running L$1,499 and the shape for L$799.  Unique is also having a sale with select makeup options at 80% off, Artemis included.  The full pack contains four versions of twelve separate skins and a beautiful set of eyes made by Nany Merlin.  Our pack also included the shape, made by Iarita Beck. Each skin itself comes with and without a hairbase and cleavage.  There are also two skins that have an open mouth. 


Normally I have a few favorite skin stores that are not mainstream.  I've been to Unique in the past, along with several other of the big name, and while I liked their skins, I had usually stuck with my odd skin stores.


I have to say though, I like this skin.  It's not as dark as I'm used to, and it doesn't have the sheen that I'm used to either.  However, this is a very detailed skin, with the minor flaws that are normally photoshopped out still on the skin.  This is a very realistic skin.  Even better, the coloring of the dark pack works perfectly with any red hair, and will look just as good with a brown or black hair pack as well.  The freckles on the skin are absolutely amazing too, and Unique's decision to keep them on was a big attraction for me.  Though it may have been our connection to the SL servers while we were photographing the skins, not all of the skins appear to have as much freckling in the face.  The eyes are very realistic as well, and are a true photograph of an eye.  Though I prefer the Anara eyes I reviewed on Friday, mainly for the ability to customize them on the fly, these would be a close second and I would not hesitate to wear them if I needed to use a system eye, especially as they fit the coloring and complexion I am aiming for with my avatar.

The only thing I see with this skin that can be a detractor for some are the eyebrows.  While I actually like the eyebrows, they remind me of the height of Cindy Crawford's modeling career, Mom had a little problem with them.  She tried to pluck her computer screen!  Mom tends to go for thinner eyebrows on her skin.  If you are like her, and not a fan of the normal sized eyebrows in SL, then you will need to probably make a custom eyebrow shaper/hairbase for them.  It is possible to make them look smaller this way, but it does stretch the forehead a bit and change the shape of your face.  Also, we did not have a chance to test the skin with different eyebrow shapers or cosmetics.  If you're a fan of different cosmetic looks, this skin comes only with the base skin option, cosmetics need to be purchased separately.

Actually, and this is a suggestion for Unique - would it be possible in the future to include separate cosmetic options?  Either purchasable independently from the skins or have some in each skin pack?  I have seen other skin creators do this using the tattoo layers, and it always makes it easier for me to mix and match with outfits, as well as making me want to go back and buy more from that creator.  Knowing that I can have a makeup that will perfectly match my skin makes me feel better about purchasing a skin for this price.  

Overall, you do need to check the demo of this skin as it is a great skin.  All of Unique's skins are great, and our photographer even is trying to decide on one of the men's skins as well.   Great job to the crew at Unique Megastore - wonderful work as always.


Overall:  10/10

Pros:  Freckles, great detail, especially beautiful coloring for redheads (number 6 was our favorite for a perfect red lipstick).

Cons:  Eyebrows may be too heavy for some tastes

No comments:

Post a Comment